Thursday, April 24, 2014

decisions, decisions, decisions

warning -- picture heavy
 
 
2004 -- year two of this enterprise -- we had a tent and tables and the famous red/white truck ...
 
 
by year 4 we knew how to grow fabulous squash ...
 
 
year 6 -- the first solo adventure - new spot and almost weed free .. and I started blogging about it and all the other wackiness in my world.
 
 
 
2010 -- I'd mastered the watermelons .. and planted way to many varieties -- and moved up to a "green" truck -- that actually had a radio ...
 
 
2011 -- battled the damn deer .. the damn things ate everything and I mean everything.
 
 
2012 -- drought and heat ... but fabulous watermelons .. while they lasted

 
so, the big decision -- not to garden in 2014.  time for a break -- it's been 11 years of hard work, fun and good people.  but I'm a bit tired, cranky and over-scheduled.  I waffled for most of the fall and on NY Eve it was the silent resolution -- the seed catalogs came and I tossed most of them in the recycling (that was hard) ... and late this winter, I told Kevin to plant it all, I wouldn't be gardening.  He planted corn on Tuesday -- on all of it. 
 
There be a garden -- although not large -- some melons, some pumpkins and of course, the squash ... I may make it to market if I have an abundance of something -- but I doubt it ..
 
There will be more time to sew, to read and to travel ... and to do -- well nothing ... it's been so long I'm not sure how to do "nothing." ..
 
Marie
 

1 comment:

Squash Blossom Farm said...

Wow! Enjoy your farming sabbatical! I bet you will be planting again next year...