Tuesday, May 19, 2009

More of God's Creatures

Okay, deer, racoons, dogs I can handle. But now I've been invaded by cutworms. Or so I was told. Dad and Joe (after checking out the nearby corn field) found cutworms in the patch. Off to the elevator for spray -- loaded up the atv and sprayer and well, sprayed the patch. Joe had sprayed the corn field on Friday so. . . the buggers must have been on the move.

Hoping for heat to drive them deeper into the soil. So -- will be spraying again today. Still need to finish planting. Maybe tonight.

Toodles
Diva

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Marie,
Hope the wind has calmed at your farm!
When I was little gardening with my grnandma, here was her trick to outwit the cutworms: For each plant we set into the ground we poked a big old nail in right alongside the stem. Grandma said the cutworms sever the plants by curling around the stem and they couldn't cut off a nail if they curled around it. I hadn't
worried about cutworms at all until I read your post--maybe I will go poke some nails in alongside my tomatoes tomorrow!

Marie said...

wcool -- although i have 850 hills out there and picking up the nails afterwords might be a chore -- tractor man wouldn't like me very well ......