Dad was very explicit/reflective/intuitive in his last weeks. We (I) didn't realize how close the end was but those last weeks were filled with a lot of life lessons, wisdom and wishes.
Today - we fulfilled one of the wishes -- we left a part of his ashes at one of his favorite places. The resort they spent most of their time --- some next to a rock and Lee/Nick & Rachael are leaving some near a favorite fishing spot.
As much as I looked forward to this family trip -- the ultimate reason was to leave a piece of our hearts here. Grief is such a funny emotion -- today, a little over 18 months and damn, the loss feels more real than many other days. Generally, those moments hit when I'm in hour 5 of mowing the damn lawn.
Mom did pretty well with our moment today -- or at least I think so -- the whole journey has been loaded with memories and since she rode with me all the way ... it's been a constant stream. I'm sure tomorrow on the voyage home she is going to crash. Her health is fragile and this has been a lot .. a lot of memories, a lot of physical -- (not her bed, not her chair, not her bathroom) change. Leaving tomorrow will be rough -- I think she know in her heart this is her last trip up here too ....


No comments:
Post a Comment