okay, so the dance blanket in the case behind my shadow and Judy's head . . is the dance blanket from Antiques Roadshow -- it was a gift to Joseph and Jane LaFramboise for their wedding ... 1845, which according to those in the know -- was one of the first, if not the first wedding at Traverse des Sioux. There was some talk that the blanket/wedding happened during the signing of the Treaty in 1851, but I do believe it was earlier. The family brought the blanket for a program at the History Center several years ago -- I'm not sure where it is now -- might be at the Mpls Art Institute ... for a while it was at the Sleepy Eye Museum (before they knew what it was worth - $250,000)
today's trivia -- when was that treaty signed?
on the Minneapolis Institute of Arts web page I found good pictures of the blanket -- the stitching is invisible -- and this probably appliqued without the use of steel needles -- it is silk on wool.


triva answer . . . July 21 or 22 of 1851 . . . I need to look up the date to be exact -- but I'm close. Hey, I know what went on in my neighborhood !!! Okay, I looked it up, July 23, 1851, not necessarily a moment (event) (occaision) to be proud of -- but neighborhood history --- I tried to paste in a current picture of Traverse des Sioux but --- beyond my skills. I usually walk the trail, once a month, so will have to take my own pictures. The "restored" prairie is blooming -- the bugs aren't too bad -- no excuse not to walk it ...
today's trivia -- when was that treaty signed?
on the Minneapolis Institute of Arts web page I found good pictures of the blanket -- the stitching is invisible -- and this probably appliqued without the use of steel needles -- it is silk on wool.

triva answer . . . July 21 or 22 of 1851 . . . I need to look up the date to be exact -- but I'm close. Hey, I know what went on in my neighborhood !!! Okay, I looked it up, July 23, 1851, not necessarily a moment (event) (occaision) to be proud of -- but neighborhood history --- I tried to paste in a current picture of Traverse des Sioux but --- beyond my skills. I usually walk the trail, once a month, so will have to take my own pictures. The "restored" prairie is blooming -- the bugs aren't too bad -- no excuse not to walk it ...
1 comment:
Hi. Enjoyed your blog. I am Joseph LaFramboises' great-great-great grandson. The blanket was stored in my grandma's (Vera (LaFramboise) Weldy) cedar chest for many years. Grandma was a fine needle-arts crafter in her own right. You might want to re-check the facts in your story.
Post a Comment